Because I’m a newbie to this whole blogging thing, I thought it would be good to introduce myself properly.
1. I’m British, and I’m proud of it. I have no idea what the most popular nationality of bloggers is on here, but I’m guessing most of them are Americans. I’ve heard the Americans like the British. So I thought that might be a good place to start.
2. I’m 19 years old – a ‘spring chicken’, as my Grandmother would say. The world’s my oyster at the moment. I’m still figuring out who I am and what I want to do with my life, but enjoying the ride.
3. I’m a first year student at University studying English Literature. I really really love English. It’s mind-blowing when you think about the enormity of power that words hold, the way they can change things, the way books can influence a debate, and raise awareness to issues and problems within Western societies and culture. I know so many people who consider English to be such a doss subject because obviously, English people use English as a language all the time. But they’re wrong – English is not all it’s cracked up to be. It goes way beyond anything you ever learned at senior school. More English-related blog posts to come. You’re probably getting the sense that I like English.
4. Of course, I really should have put this as the number one thing about myself, but to be honest, the thought didn’t even cross my mind. If you haven’t already guessed, I’m a girl. The name ‘Natalie’ probably gave it away. I’m yet to meet a boy named Natalie, but if you happen to come across one, tell him I said hi.
5. I bite my nails. It’s an awful habit which I’ve been trying to shake off for the past 15 years. Not having much luck thus far.
6. I am likely to be one of the clumsiest human beings you will ever meet in your entire life. My severe lack of co-ordination is actually prize-winning and I’m surprised I am yet to be awarded some form of certificate or medal for my fantastic efforts in dropping things, breaking things, spilling things…. shamefully the list goes on.
7. I have a bit of an addiction to music and have my radio on every day, my favourite bands being Coldplay, Arctic Monkeys, The Vaccines and so on. I’m also a huge lover of the band McFly (most people mock them, I, however, worship them). I’m going to see them for the third time in April with my best friends and we are all very very excited.
8. My ultimate best friend, my partner in crime, my right-hand man (or woman, in this instance), my top amigo, my sister-from-another-mister, is called Alice. I’ve known her for 8 years, I’d trust her with my life and I know I can rely on her in any situation. We’ve had ups and downs like any friendship has, but we always pull through and we already know that we’ll continue to be best friends until we’re covered in wrinkles and liver spots, being carted around in wheelchairs shouting the odds at whoever gets in our way.
9. I also have a fantastic group of mates who mean the absolute world to me. You know you see in those typical coming-of-age movies about school cliques and little girl troupes parading around, generally being a bit wacky and getting into all sorts of madness? That’s us. I have so many great memories being with those girls, and now with everyone off doing their own thing, it’s a rarity that we get to be all together again like the old days. But when we get the chance to reunite as a group, it’s as though absolutely nothing has changed.
10. Fact number ten. (I’d better make this a good one.) Since I haven’t mentioned them, and I really should, I want to talk about my family. Like most people, I have a Mum and a Dad and I’ve also got two brothers. My family mean everything to me and I’m definitely a family-orientated, ‘homey’ person. I love being at home, even if we’re not doing anything exciting, just being there is fantastic in itself. My family and I gel together so well, we fit together like pieces of a puzzle. I love them to bits and genuinely can’t imagine how awful life would be without them.